College life is fascinating and full of challenges. Some of the experiences are thrilling, and some experiences may leave you feeling stressed. There are many students who feel stressed while going to colleges.
The manner that students come up with a variety of new experiences such as adjusting to college, social pressure, and work responsibilities. and sudden transition from the shelter of their peers is very much influenced by their upbringing.
Occasional stress should also be viewed with a positive outlook because it can have a positive impact. It encourages us to push ourselves when we face a difficult situation. But that’s only applies to occasional stress. High levels of stress over a long period of time are associated to a variety of problems such as depression, anxiety, cardiovascular disease, and other issues which can turn life-threatening. So, it is essential to know how to manage stress before it becomes too strong for you to fight it.
What is stress?
Stress is a very normal part of everyone’s life, stress - especially at all important events of your life is an integral part of us. To put it very simple, stress is a reaction of the body to a challenge or situation. Long duration of high stress is unhealthy, but small bursts of occasional stress can be useful in some aspects. The right kind of stress can encourage to achieve goals and may also encourage the body to perform better and is essential to escape an adverse situation. Stress enables a physiological reaction in your body but the hormones released under stress of high level are unhealthy may result in the physical manifestation of stress. It can involve shaking, tunnel vision, heartbeat rate, slower digestion, accelerated breathing, and flushed skin.
Some reasons for getting stressed in college
Each student responds to stress in his own unique way. The students would react to stress of a particular situation differently depending upon a variety of factors. But there are some common situations which may cause stress to an individual.
- Financial Stress: Many a times, students also do a job while going to college to bear their high tuition fees and housing expenses. So, if you are facing any financial issues, do not stress. Talk with the financial assistant officers to ensure if they can help you get loans or grants for your studies. There are many grants available throughout the country from many prestigious institution.
- Lack of Friends: An unfamiliar city or state can make anyone feel alone, especially if they are young students. Often, they leave their house and city to come to college and have no one around who they are familiar with. Some students are also shy and of reserved nature. They have the most difficulty in making new friends. It is even more difficult in an unusual and stressful situation.
- Coursework and examinations: The increased workload related to college courses can easily cause anxiety to any student especially with so many assignments to complete and so many exams to give. It can create a lot of stress and academic anxiety.
- Finding the perfect roommates:Many students may not be used to sharing a room with a roommate, especially someone they don’t know. Thus, sharing the room with for a very long time is a very valid reason to cause stress because you may like the person or you may not.
How to manage your stress?
Managing a high level of stress can be a battle. But there are some ways through which you can deal with your stress, decreasing the level of stress you are experiencing from some particular issues and to enhance your ability to cope with and eliminate stress.
- Sleep enough: If you get enough sleep, then you are less prone to become sick, enhance your memory power, and enjoy a fresh mind. Quality sleep has many health benefits, such as reducing stress and enhancing mood.
- Have good amount of food: Your body is more capable of handling stress when you are healthy. Eating healthy food is an excellent way to start. You need to make an effort to eat nutritious meals and avoid eating junk food. Students can also try to seek out foods that resist stress.
- Exercise: Regular exercise will not only keep you healthy, but it also improves overall cognitive ability. It will refresh your mind and body. It can also help you fall asleep, which can also help to reduce stress.
- Set realistic expectations: A hectic and busy schedule is the leading cause of stress. Having too much work on your shoulder can cause a high level of stress. No doubt, a busy schedule can even be efficiently dealt with stress. So, students need to manage their work and set realistic goals so that they do not get overburdened.
- Never opt for any stimulants: Drinking coffee and energy drinks to power may lead to an adverse effect on the body. These stimulants can enhance cortisol levels in the body and increase the stress level in the body.
- Spend time with loved ones: it is pertinent that time is spent with the people who are close and share good rapport with. When you are willing to spend quality time with your family and friends, then you can feel more comfortable. It can help to reduce a high level of stress.
- Take some break: Stress can come from your hectic schedule in completing your homework. So, it’s important for you to take a break and plan different things to do with your friends in schools, colleges, or universities. Make a plan with your friends or family for a movie or picnic. You might not complete all the things that are there on your to-do list, but you can use this time to do at-least a few.
- Find an effective way to reduce stress: Luckily, stress can be avoided entirely. Finding some ways to reduce your stress will go a long way towards keeping it from devastating you. The typical stress outlets include spending time with friends and loved ones, listening to music, and eating comfort food.
- Organize your daily routine: You get frustrated when you have a lot of stuff to do daily, and on the other hand, the roommates may get noisy when you need concentration. So you should look for space where you can sit patiently and concentrate on the work. You also have to make a schedule in which daily exercise, study, and fun included. This will help you to focus on and getting things done quickly.
- Keep your body healthy and active: It becomes difficult to take care of ourselves in the busy lives. So, hustlers have to suffer a lot. To stay away from stress, the first thing you need to do is to take care of your body. You have to eat healthy, conveniently and food which is fresh and in-rich with high protein.
Strategies to manage your stress in time
Students can avoid stress more before using these tips.
- Know your limits: You must know your limits and stick to them. You have to learn how to say no when you do not agree with someone or something. Try to refuse the responsibility that will add more stress in your life.
- Avoid negative people: You must avoid those people who are the leading cause of your stress when you get to feel that those people are adding burden and stress into your life then limit your time to spend with them.
- Avoid arguments:If you get upset over some topic and that converts in discussion, then you have to excuse yourself and step into the other topic.
- Avoid too much stuff to do: Students have to prepare a schedule in which you should analyse your daily tasks. If you have too many things to do, then you have to make a list of stuff that you must do and that you can postpone for later.
- Control your environment: You have to go out and change your environment if anything makes you anxious. Do those things that make you happy and feel good. Listen to music and go out shopping that makes you feel in cloud nine.
- Express your feelings: When you are feeling something about someone, then do not bottle it up. Express your feelings and communicate openly in a respectful way. You should also change your behaviour and try to bend a little in some situations.
- Positive attitude: When you are getting stressed, then you should reflect on all the things. Keep yourself positive emotionally. When you continuously stay negative, your body will react negatively, and you will be in a tensed situation. So being positive in different situations is must.
- Accept the things that can’t be changed: If you get to know that the situations are going out of your control, then choose your reaction patiently. If you have done anything wrong, then learn from your mistakes. The world is imperfect, so let go the anger and resentments. Stay away from negative energy and move on.
There are many effects of stress on your body, such as headache, exhaustion, upset stomach, and depression. Some college students start taking drugs, alcohol, and tobacco to deal with stress. It is hard to disguise college with the urging of family, work, and life that can have a bit crazy. However, this can be dealt if the above tips are accepted and implemented well.